Carpentry Training Program
The construction industry on the Lower Eastern Shore needs workers!
Wor-Wic Community College is offering a construction training program funded by a Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation EARN Maryland grant in partnership with industry representatives, Quality Staffing Services and the Lower Shore Workforce Alliance.
For more information about course content & schedule, contact Wor-Wic at 410-334-2815 or visit their website at
To be eligible for consideration, Candidates must:
- Be a Maryland resident (Lower Shore preferred)
- Have a High School Diploma or GED (Minimum age 17)
- Be able to pass a pre-employment “5 panel” drug screen
- Display hand-arm steadiness
- Display strong near-vision to see details at close range
- Be able to recognize and solve problems
- Be able to adjust controls with precision
- Be able to lift 50 lbs. unassisted
- Possess good depth perception and manual dexterity
- Be able to purchase and wear safety equipment (e.g. safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection)
- Have reliable transportation
Basic Construction Techniques is designed to prepare students with the basic skills required to enter the construction industry.
Experience “hands-on” instruction on proper and safe use of hand and power tools. Focus on basic safety standards for construction. Review basic math & measurement as they relate to construction (mathematical functions, decimal-fraction conversion and basic geometry), reading a tape measure and print reading. Review drawing plans to determine materials and fasteners needed.
Discover the importance of work ethic from the employer’s perspective. Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skills by working through issues related to the construction industry. Focus on construction career paths and understand how a construction team works together. Topics include floor systems, wall systems, basic stair layout, doors and door hardware, drywall installation, drywall finishing, suspended ceilings, trim (window, floor & ceiling) and cabinet installation.
Thursday evenings: 5:30 pm to 8:45 pm (13 sessions)
All required fields are marked with an *