Civil Engineer (Cambridge)
Responsible for the professional engineering services required for highway, bridge, airport, waterways, wetland, stormwater and other public works projects and programs to ensure technical compliance and competence with all current codes and criteria. The position will support the Director and Assistant Director of Public Works in the specific areas of Public Works engineering including, marine facilities.
Essential functions of the job:
- Review subdivision applications for compliance with Planning and Zoning, Public Works and Highway Department requirements; review subdivision road and drainage plans for compliance; and inspect construction of subdivision roads and drainage facilities for compliance.
- Prepare engineering plans and specifications for projects such as road construction; airport hangars, aprons and taxiways; bridge construction; shoreline erosion control; boat ramps; bulkheads and dredging.
- Administer construction projects including layout and construction inspections.
- Oversee storm water management, forest conservation, erosion and sediment control enforcement programs.
- Perform bridge inspections and maintain records of bridge ratings.
- Prepare wetland permit applications, follow up with State and Federal wetland requirements through the appropriate agencies, and design wetland mitigation projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college or university approved by the Engineers’ Council for Professional Development and/or approved by the Maryland State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers.
- A minimum of two (2) years previous experience in civil engineering, involving public works or land development work is required.
- Must have knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering including highway and bridge construction and maintenance, bridge inspection, environmental issues, wetlands, drainage, hydrology, surveying techniques and hydraulic analysis and design.
- Knowledge of construction specifications and plans, materials costs and laws, codes, policies and practices relating to design and construction of highway, bridge, and other public works projects.
- Ability to plan and supervise large-scale engineering programs and activities of a highly technical nature.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
- Engineering License preferred.
All required fields are marked with an *